"I fed the birds for her." Those were the words my husband said to me when he called me from his mom's house to tell me that she had passed away. Susan loved birds. Feeding them was one of those small, ordinary things that was simply part of who she was. So after she died, he went outside and fed them for her. I've thought about those words ever since. Susan died from kidney cancer. When I began thinking about what I wanted to make for this year's SewPINK initiative, my first instinct was to make something orange—the awareness color for kidney cancer. It seemed like the obvious way to honor her. But grief isn't always obvious. And neither is love. Sometimes it's feeding the birds. So instead of choosing fabric because it matched a ribbon, I found myself looking at these beautiful, colorful birds and thinking of Susan. And suddenly I knew what I wanted to make. Running With Scissors For my SewPINK project this year, I made ByAnnie's Running With Scissor...
I have not posted on here in some time, so I figured it's time for an update! As you have probably noticed, I have spruced up my website a bit, and unveiled my new logo. I hope you all like it, especially since there is now Randi's Roost merchandise! I was so excited to receive my samples of the shirts and stickers a few days ago. I wanted to make sure the stuff was good before I offered it to you all! The shirts are so soft, and I have a hard time resisting sleeping in them. They also wash beautifully. I am working on organizing an in-person meetup here in beautiful Hunterdon County, New Jersey. It would be at a local brewery/restaurant, so we would not be able to sew there. BUT, they have delicious food and a myriad of beverages, so we could eat, drink, talk about sewing (or other stuff), and maybe I could even do a trunk show! It would be a great time in a lovely little town (Milford). If there's enough interest, we could do this regularly. We are working on some new p...
*Products provided by sponsors* The final challenge of the year is called Celebration. The Island Batik Ambassadors were given the challenge to make any project that represents a holiday. While it was tempting to choose Christmas, I decided to go down a different route. Recently, we lost my husband's grandpa, or Taid Fawr, as he was known in our family. Taid Fawr (say "tide VOW-er") means "Great-Grandpa" in Welsh. Taid Fawr with my younger daughter, who bears a striking resemblance to him Somehow, even though he was 99 years and 2 days old, it seemed too soon for him to go. He was an awesome guy, and one of those people who friends and family wish could live forever. Taid Fawr speaking at our wedding in 2013 Having just lost Nain Fawr (Great Grandma- say "nine VOW-er") not too long ago, it was especially difficult for all who loved them. They were married for 77 years! Taid Fawr and Nain Fawr holding my...
Comments
Post a Comment