Island Batik Ambassador Program - September Challenge

For this month, our challenge was to use a technique that is near and dear to my heart: paper piecing. We were allowed to use foundation paper piecing or English paper piecing, and I chose foundation paper piecing.

This month I was lucky enough to work with Ornate Gems by Kathy Engle.
I'll be honest- I had a heck of a time settling on a pattern for this challenge. I love foundation paper piecing so much, and the choices are so endless! I was a bit overwhelmed and actually had a few false starts before I finally settled on using the Mini Series patterns by Alison Glass and Giucy Giuce- but with a twist. I enlarged the blocks to better show off the beautiful fabric. So my blocks for this project were 7.5" rather than the 4" blocks I used for the Mini Series Sew Along. 
And then, disaster struck. 

While opening a jar of salsa, I felt a POP in my wrist and hand, and was almost knocked over by the pain. After lots of bad words and a visit with an orthopedist, I learned that I had injured a tendon pretty badly. The good news was that I didn't need surgery. The bad news was that my  pinky finger, ring finger, and wrist on my dominant side would have to remain immobilized for a while. No sewing!

Thankfully, after lots of rest and ice, the pain began to ease up and I snuck into my sewing room. The first time I tried to sew, it was a no-go because it made the pain worse. But I tried again a few days later and it felt okay. I asked my doctor if there was any reason not to sew, and he said it was fine! So I was able to finish up my quilt top. 
It's not exactly the vision I had in my head, but I'm still pretty happy with it. I had to modify my original plan to have more paper pieced blocks, and now the quilting will have to wait as well.

Here is a close-up of the paper pieced portion:
I used Schmetz microtex needles and Aurifil thread for this project, and plan to quilt it with Hobbs batting once I am healed up enough to do that.

Please be sure to check out the projects by all of this year's Island Batik Ambassadors:

Brenda Alburl ~ Songbird Designs
Renee Atkinson ~ Pink Tulip Quilting
Pamela Boatright ~ PamelaQuilts
Susan Deshensky ~ Lady Blue Quilts
Brittany Fisher ~ Bobbin with Brittany
Preeti Harris ~ Sew Preeti Quilts
Mania Hatziioannidi ~ Mania for quilts
Reed Johnson ~ Blue Bear Quilts
Victoria Johnson ~ Forever Quilting for You
Connie Kauffman ~ Kauffman Designs
Emily Leachman ~ The Darling Dogwood
Leah Malasky ~ Quilted Delights
Maryellen McAuliffe ~ Mary Mack Made Mine
Anorina Morris ~ sameliasmum.com
Lisa Pickering ~ Lisa’s Quilting Passion
Sarah Pitcher ~ Pitcher’s Boutique
Claudia Porter ~ Create with Claudia
Lana Russel ~ Lana Quilts
Elita Sharpe ~ Busy Needle
Gail Sheppard ~ Quilting Gail
Sandra Starley ~ Textile Time Travels
Jennifer Thomas ~ Curlicue Creations
Suzy Webster ~ Websterquilt

Make sure to follow Island Batik on Facebook and Instagram, so that you always stay updated on the beautiful quilts and home decor items from the talented Island Batik Ambassadors and Designers:

Facebook: Island Batik

Instagram: @island_batik

#islandbatikambassador #aurifil #schmetzneedles #hobbsbatting


Comments

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your injury. I know it must have been very painful. When I use to work, several girls injured theirs and had to have surgery. It took them a while to get over it. I really hope all goes well for you.
    These fabrics are really gorgeous and I love what you have done with them. The quilt is so beautiful and the paper pieced designs are awesome. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feel better soon! Love the pieced blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the mini series sew along with those patterns.... they look great enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool what a wonderful idea doing this. thanks for sharing. hope you are feeling better soon quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Island Batik Ambassador Program: May Challenge

Island Batik Ambassador Program: March Challenge